A jarring journey through hospitalization and recovery.
“Swallowed Whole” is a somber, animated, experimental film about surviving extreme isolation and physical limitations as a result of traumatic injury. Edited to emphasize the physical impact of dropping, crashing, and slamming, the film repeats vertical frame-rolls from analog TV to metaphorically replay the impact that literally broke the filmmaker’s back.
Single channel HD video, color, stereo, 4:06 min.
“Swallowed Whole” is a somber, animated, experimental film about surviving extreme isolation and physical limitations as a result of traumatic injury. The film weaves together photos, animations, videos and sound recordings and takes the viewer on an abbreviated jarring journey through physical and psychological landscapes of hospitalization and recovery. Some of the imagery and sounds were collected during The Arctic Circle 2013 Summer Solstice Expedition, an international research expedition for artists, writers, and scientists.
Edited to emphasize the physical impact of dropping, crashing, and slamming, the video repeats vertical frame-rolls from analog TV to metaphorically replay the impact that literally broke her back. The bone-crushing sounds and jarring movement echo throughout the film mirroring the repetition of trauma, and the trauma of repetition, commonly associated with post-traumatic stress disorder. The recurring instability of the image reflects the fragility of her injured body while providing a palpable experience for the viewer. The piece is inspired in part by Joan Jonas’ “Vertical Roll,” (1972) which uses a common analog television set malfunction to create a shifting stage of activity. “Swallowed Whole” uses fragmentation to both tell and disrupt the story and serves as a window of empathy into PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) repetition compulsion.
After breaking my back in a sledding accident, I was forced to lie supine on the couch for an extended period of time during which my mind often descended into a desolate, disorienting dreamscape. Feeling stifled, I imagined that I was trapped under a frozen lake; life continued on above me while I looked up from below. This sensation became the kernel from which I created this film.
- Best Experimental Short, 38th Big Muddy Film Festival, 2016
- Special Jury Mention, Experimental category, Oxford Film Festival, 2016
- Royal Reel Award, Experimental Shorts, Canada International Film Festival, 2016
- Best Experimental Film, Female Eye Film Festival, Toronto, June 2015
- Jury’s Choice Award – 1st Prize, 34th Annual Black Maria Film Festival Tour 2015, New Jersey
- Special Jury Award for Outstanding Montage, Blow-Up: Chicago Int’l Arthouse Film Festival, 2015
- Best Experimental Film, Humboldt International Film Festival, April 2015
- Remi Award, 48th World-Fest Houston International Film and Video Festival, April 2015
- Best Experimental/Documentary Award, Seoul International Extreme-Short Image & Film Festival, 2014
- Bronze Videoholica Award, Videoholica International Video Art Festival, Varna, Bulgaria, 2014
- Vienna Independent Shorts Festival, Austria, 2016
- Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival, 2016
- 43rd Athens International Film and Video Festival, Athens, OH, 2016
- 38th Big Muddy Film Festival, Southern Illinois Univ., Carbondale, IL, 2016
- Filmfest Dresden: International Short Film Festival, Germany, 2015
- 53rd Ann Arbor Film Festival, Michigan, March 2015
- Atlanta Film Festival, Georgia, March 2015
- Oxford Film Festival, Oxford, Mississippi, Feb 2016
- Tricky Women International Animation Filmfestival, Vienna, Austria, March 2015
- 12th Annual Chicago International REEL Shorts Film Fest, Dec 2015
- Blow-Up: Chicago International Arthouse Film Festival, Dec 2015
- 2015 Video Art & Experimental Film Festival, New York City, Nov. 2015
- International Short Film Festival 20min|max, Ingolstadt, Germany, June 2015
- 13th Festival International Signes de Nuit, Lisboa, Portugal & Sarrbrücken, Germany, June 2015
- 13th Festival International Signes de Nuit, Paris, Nov 2015
- Doctober Documentary Film Festival, Bellingham, WA, 2015
- Artists’ Television Access, GAZE series, San Francisco, 2015
- Athens Animfest 2015, Athens, Greece
- FONLAD Festival – Digital Art Festival Coimbra, Portugal (via CologneOFF – Cologne Int’l Videoart Festival)
- Mostra de Curtmetratges Dr.Mabuse XIV, Barcelona, Spain, 2015
- Rencontres Internationales Sciences & Cinemas, Marseille, France, Nov. 2014
- Tehran International Film Festival, Tehran, Iran, Oct. 2014
- Simultan Festival 2014, Timisoara, Romania, Oct. 2014